Saturday, January 17, 2015

Bullshit and bullies : Adulthood Version

As usual, a Facebook post led my thoughts to wander down a metaphorical " rabbit hole". As someone whose Myers-Briggs personality type is INFJ and being slightly on the autism spectrum, I know what it is like to be a " weirdo". At my age of close to 40 years old, this " otherness" status does not bother me. As a matter of fact, after recently seeing how some  so-called ' cool kids' act, I am grateful that I've never been part of any In Crowd.


I've always been the sort of woman and girl who prefers the company of guys rather than that of my own gender. When guys are mean to you , one KNOWS one is being bullied. This is not so with girls and women. Female humans can be truly vicious creatures, and most of the time these attacks are not brought on by someone defending her young.


I can recall countless instances in school when my intuition KNEW that some girls were trying to bullshit me yet my lack to social insight did not let me identify exactly WHAT the bullshit was about. As I've matured in age and experience , I'm slightly better at determining the source of social bullshit but still feel deep sorrow when I am bullied, excluded or otherwise made to feel "less than".


Eleanor Roosevelt said " No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."


Preach it, sister, preach it!


If someone doesn't want me around, I can tell. and I've grown beyond giving much merit to such narrow minded people who need to be cruel to me [ or anyone else] so that they can feel better about who THEY are.


Yo Bullies and Mean Girls, I am sorry that you hate yourselves so much. But how is making  ME  feel shitty about who I am stoke YOUR ego?


When adults bully or exclude me, I am hurt. It sucks for someone to remind me that there are petty, childish people in this world. Of course no one is perfect, but grown men and women who intentionally seek to belittle others both anger and sadden me.


Yet I've learned that how these people treat others says a hell of a lot more about the state of THEIR self-esteem than about me. After years of not listening to my mother telling me so, I've learned that bullies pick on people whom they perceive as weaker or different in order to boost their already fragile egos. I do not understand why these people must hurt someone else in order to make themselves feel ' important' { whatever the hell THAT means}but their issues are not MY issues.


 I've also learned that women and men who continue to bully others well into adulthood hang out with others who behave in a similar manner.  The concept of Mean Girls { and guys} extends throughout the lifespan. While I am sure that most  children and teens who bully others grow into fine adults , I know from experience that some refuse to give up the cliquish separations that are so pervasive in  middle and high schools. This is sad to me that some people peak at 16 years of age, but their issues should not be my problem. Actually, their insecurities are NOT my problem. Life is too short to deal with bullshit.


The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment