Monday, June 9, 2014

I am {NOT} a rock. I am {NOT} an island

"I Am A Rock" By Simon & Garfunkel
A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

This is one of my all-time favorite songs. As a matter of fact, to me it is the ultimate introvert's anthem.

People scare me. Relationships can be messy. I took sociology as part of my general education requirements in college, and { still} can only see human foibles through the "lens" of social science.  

People baffle & disappoint me .

Groups of people under then influence of a manipulative and/or charismatic leader can turn toxic quickly.

I do not trust easily.

My sensitivity does not allow for me to display my vulnerability.

However, in these past few years, I have discovered that I am NOT a rock NOR an island. People are created to live together in communities & groups.  Even we introverts with autism need some degree of social interaction. I've needed to become vulnerable in order to grow.  I hate feeling helpless and vulnerable but growth occurs sometimes during our weakest moments.

Yesterday was Pentecost. The Christian church celebrates the coming of the Holy Spirit to the disciples.. Note the plural of the last word in the previous sentence. All people are communal by nature, but we Christians are even more communal { or " tribal" as it may be}  than some other people.




As I continue on this journey , I learn who my true " community" is , and I am learning that my community need not be confined to the municipality where I live.  My community is where I am loved with an agape love that asks for nothing in return. I freely give that same love to others in my community.  There should not be restricted giving of love, but all too often I am guilty of freely loving people who are easy to love.  I am guilty of the sin of pride & self-righteousness. Let's be honest---we all lack enough humility to love as Christ commands us to love. We are called to love one another, especially those in our fragile human communities.


Love each other always, but love each other more during times of weakness.


Amen. Alleluia.


Pentecost 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment