Sunday, January 27, 2013

My favorite " thin place"

According to my rector, a " thin pace" is a place where one feels closest to God.  In my life both in the mountains and n the coast I've been blessed with several such places.

Shoreline Park and Fort Pickens National Seashore in Gulf Breeze, Florida { somewhat near where I live now} are two such local " thin places".

However, there is one place that is, to me, extra-"thin".

My godparents' lake , campground and cabins area , situated on over 100o acres of gorgeous Appalachian foothills in eastern Ohio is my most- special place. Although my teen years were generally unhappy{ mostly punctuated by A LOT of bullying and several doctors' visits { in an attempt to figure out "what is wrong with Sarah"}

The place where I feel closest To God is Austin Lake.  It is true that I * never* want to move back to Ohio or Pennsylvania, but the property surrounding this lake holds some of my best memories. Every summer I look forward to travelling here .  I've discovered that vacation need not be full of a planned agenda : I much rather prefer time away to re-charge. When I am here, there is never a planned agenda: and I am contend t just " be"  at the Lake.

My autism makes  travel difficult. When I { eventually} arrive at the Lake, the pain { literally} of the sensory input overdrive will be worth it.  Where else can one wake in the morning, sip tea on a porch overlooking some beautiful Appalachian woodlands and later read Morning Prayer while sitting in a kayak on a clear lake?


I see this EVERY morning when I'm visiting the Lake. Can you understand why this place is so" thin"? :O)



I

Coastal hiking is not the same  as hiking these hills.




" Where I come from/ we rode in TRUCKS."~ country singer Luke Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment