Friday, March 15, 2013

Viva la Papa!{ and yes, I am an Anglican!}

Viva Papa Francis !

I am an Anglican, and very very proud of my Episcopal Church.  I am spiritually " home" as an Episcopalian & will eventually die as one & wish for my life to be celebrated at a high_Church Rock-n-roll Mass. { complete with incense, ringing of bells & chanting of the Psalms}

That being said, the more I learn about Pope Francis I, the more I feel that he is the person to lead the Church Universal. I think that we will  eventually witness a new, more compassionate era in the history of Christianity. I was not a fan of Benedict 16---and I have many reason  which I do not wish to discuss in a public forum. Email me at sarahbethstaugs@gmail.com if you wish to know what my misgivings were about Cardinal Ratzinger's leadership.

                                  Here is one of my favorite photos of the new Bishop of Rome:


I left the Presbyterian Church  mostly in part due to my lack of spiritual fulfilment in their Calvinist worship services. In retrospect I know now that I only stayed as a Presbyterian for as long as I did because it was all I really knew. The Presbyterians baptized & nurtured me as a teen & young adult & I am thankful to them for providing me with that good foundation in Scripture-literacy.

  My father's family are Irish-American Catholics, so { although I never was Roman Catholic by practice] I've grown up with an appreciation of Roman Catholic tradition and {ESPECIALLY} Roman Catholic liturgy. During all my years as a Presbyterian I always thought that Communion was not just as " memorial" of Our Lord's sacrifice. To me, the pomp & circumstance of a Sunday Mass is NOT about any of the people present --it is about glorifying God using the elements given to humanity by our loving Creator. The first time I attended Sunday mass at Small Parish I knew I came HOME & it was a glorious feeling.

 Through my entire existence on Earth I have always struggled with the social positions that are taught as part of Roman Catholic doctrine, as I am of the opinion that God gave us minds for discernment.  my libertarian principles tell me that its moot to try to legalize morality, either by secular or Church legislation.  {Ask my parents how much I do NOT like people making decisions about MY life. }

*Steps off of soap box now*

Anyhow, the Anglican-Catholic that I am sings happy praises in the election of a new Pope.  It is my hope & prayer that he will be a pastor & leader that will bring all branches of the one, holy, Catholic & apostolic Church" together to fulfill God's vision of "shalom".

Amen. Gloria en excelsis Deo!






No comments:

Post a Comment